|Early versions of my Elements casket with a particular set of ladies with|
the 'devices' in their hands. Not too recognizable that this was the
elements Fire and Air. Scrapped.
That flat casket is actually all covered with paper and the interior is 95% done. I just have to install the pincushion top and the mirrors on the walls - the print is already in the thing.
So over the weekend I was tired after the 'nth' set of kids were here and gone (many sleep here over the weekends so it never ends - already know this weekend's set), I was laying on the couch - which I never get to do - and decided to play with the design again. And what did I find in another file?? A set of the Air and Fire sides that I had 'lost' that Noah and I had worked on together.
|Old Fire Side. Hard to fill in more of this design. |
Lots of fire...
None resonated with me because I kept arguing with myself about who got the back!! I didn't want to put Earth or Water on a side as their devices (thing that went with them like the grotto, fish, etc) were too rich for the limited space. But I had a fight with myself over who had to go on the back: Earth with the fun stumpwork fruit or water with fishes, grotto and in the end a SHIP! So that was the sticking point.
|New Fire Side. I might change the phoenix to the dragon|
for fun, but this chariot and horses.. that could be awesome!
|Old Air Side. Can't just fill all the space with clouds. |
So boring to stitch.
So I got out the motif for earth and started playing with it in my computer program on the top template. I would need to add a lot of material to make it full. But it would need to go with the theme of earth. So into Google and looking up 17th century etchings of allegories of Earth, Air, Fire and Water to see the 'devices'. Lots of trees, fruits and bunnies. So maybe I add sheep, bunnies and more trees. Grabbing said parts of other designs I was making some progress.
Then I decided to go and look at embroidered versions of Earth from actual caskets and mirrors. That could help. I knew that the top of the Martha Edlin casket was done in the Elements so I opened that up. Note that they are represented in the four corners of the top by the devices only - no ladies. While it gave me some stitch/color guidance for the fire and air part that would be useful later... nothing to add. Then back to the search page and that is when EUREKA happened.
I had just been working on judging and writing about the Casket Toy contest so 3-D was in my mind. There on the screen was Queen Elizabeth II's casket at Windsor Castle that we had visited. That 3-D masterpiece that we are all hoping SOMEONE will do so we can see it.
|Final and beloved Water front. I CAN'T wait to stitch this side.|
I am sooooo excited. Stay tuned for something amazing in a few years. And did this flat casket start out being something that would be so fantastic? Not at all. It wasn't to be my opus. Perhaps it will be.
|First Water Panel - on the back|
|A version of Earth and Water on the front panel|
|The element Earth from a mirror frame. Hard to|
work into a top as it is so asymmetric. But I do
like the bunnies and the fruit basket (fun to stitch)
|The Earth Top on my computer screen developing as I had my Eureka moment. She will be sitting on a|
mound. There will be fruit trees around her. Little animals like on the QEII casket. OMG I am salivating just
thinking about it!
|Top of Martha Edlin Casket with Harmony surrounded by Water, Fire, Air, and Earth.|
|Close view of Royal Collection casket with the three dimensional stumpwork scene on the top. Oh my gosh can|
you just IMAGINE Mother Earth sitting there with a cornucopia and fruit spilling out. Weak in the knees!