Saturday, October 20, 2018

Fashioned from Nature - The Victoria and Albert Museum

While I was in London last week, I took the opportunity to see the Fashioned with Nature exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum.  Watch the slick trailer below.  If you have a chance to see it, there are more reasons than you think to see it!

The exhibition is on two floors in the fashion galleries and concerns the use of materials from nature (including oil) and the impact on the planet.  A good set of message as textile waste is actually the biggest waste stream in the world and has become a huge issue in fashion/textile engineering (I just gave a talk at a wonderful MFA Boston symposium regarding textile industry that was a mix of history, fashion and high tech all in the same room.  We all said the conference should have been recorded as it was terrific!)

But there is an entire case of 17th century embroidered objects on the first floor - and inside it was a big surprise:  the prototype for the Plimoth Jacket!!  It has only been in storage for years.   So if you would like to see it live - it is on display until January 27th, 2019.  There is a nightcap, glove, and purse, jacket arm, several bed covers as well as a few other objects in the case.  Well worth a look as there are so many yummies in the British Galleries as well!


I couldn't resist taking a selfie with Ms. 1359-1900.  When I came into the exhibit - I said "oh hello miss, I haven't seen you in awhile, so lovely to see you again".  Brings back sweet memories of the start of this huge adventure.

While I was there, I picked up some prizes for an upcoming contest as well.... hmmmm.

Tricia



2 comments:

  1. Oh wow - and I was in London last Thursday! Shall have to make another trip.... Hope son is settling into London life

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be in London later this month. On my list!

    ReplyDelete