Friday, October 23, 2015

The UK Whirlwind

As I write this, we have just finished the UK Casket Tour and have been down in the lounge saying our good-byes.  It was a wonderful tour and we saw so many items!  I was thinking that this one 11-day period was as good as 10-years of research trips for me, and the best part of it was that I was able to share it with 42 other people!

I'll do a bit of a overview over the next few weeks, but first I must get home and take care of my family.  Seems a bit of chaos has reigned and the husband is now sending me pathetic messages about how there are no band-aids in the house and he scraped his finger bringing my boxes in.  Seems that the mother of the house is needed to swoop in and set all right again.   No rest for the weary!

But to tease, I will share an image of one of the objects we saw at the Fashion Museum in Bath.

Glove 23391&A from the Fashion Museum, Bath.  1615-1625, The Spence Collection

This glove is leather with metal thread embroidery on the surface.  A griffin and a camel form the design in a stylized arch decoration.  The threads are in lovely condition, and the close up below makes you drool over the super small purls they had to work with!  

Glove 23391&A from the Fashion Museum, Bath.  1615-1625, The Spence Collection



1 comment: